Friday, October 29, 2010

The Great Karoo and the Little Karoo and my connection


The Great Karoo and the Little Karoo is in two different Provinces, but they both very close to my heart.

My mother grew up in Calvinia and my grandmother had a farm a 100km away from the Town, Calvinia. I spent most of my winter school holidays on the Farm. The most amazing things for a child on a Farm are the open fields and the freedom to go anywhere. On hot days we swam in the farm dam. My brothers and I walked up the mountain and played House-house in the cave.

Opposite the farm house was our favourite play park; my grandfathers old cars, tractors and farm implements. We climbed on the tractors and into the cars and entertained ourselves for hours.

We also assisted my uncle with the marking and weighing of the sheep. We really had the time of our lives.

In the Karoo you will also be able to see the Milky Way the clearest you’ll ever experiences. I remember one evening we sat on the Farm stoep and counted 11 satellites and 6 shooting stars within an hour.

My husband’s father grew up on a farm just outside Laingsburg in the Little Karoo. So he has many childhood experiences on the Farm. The Little Karoo is also very hot in summer and very cold in winter just like the Great Karoo.
We also experience the most amazing days and evenings on the Laingsburg Farm.

If one wants to get away from City life and all the noise, the farm is the best place to go. I have also slept outside in the Little Karoo and watched the stars and found piece of mind.

The Farm in the Great Karoo has been sold and we don’t visit the farm very often, but the Little Karoo in Laingsburg we visit quite often and spend Christmas on the Farm every two years.

The Karoo is the place where I am able to think, to relax, and to just be me and a place where I can walk, pray and think in my own time.

Everyone needs time out and a place where you can experience life in its natural form.

No comments:

Post a Comment