Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I will be a success when ......


Success probably is something a little different to everybody but to me it is exactly the words of Bessie Stanley: “He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who has left the world better than he found it, whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul; who has never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had; whose life was an inspiration; whose memory a benediction.”
When I was younger and in Matric, it was important for me to receive an overall “A” average at the end of my School career. I worked very hard, put in all the effort that was needed to succeed. When I received my results I didn’t get an overall “A” but missed it because of a decision make by government regulation and I had an overall “B”. Boy, was I disappointed, angry and hurt. This took me a long time to accept. When I finally accepted it, I realised by not achieving this, this won’t stop me of making a success of my life.
So I defined success the following: Success is to touch somebody’s heart, make them feel worthy and creating happiness. This is why I’ve done missionary work in Swaziland for the past 7 years. We touch people’s heart and oh do they touch ours. It is as simple as having art classes after school and using glitter. The Glitter “verskaf” hours of “genot”, and to see the happiness in their eyes is “onbeskryflik”
If I can make somebody laugh, I am happy and feel like I have succeeded.
Love is a very important part of my life, because without love, they’re will be no friendships, marriages, children, goodwill, passion, worship etc. I am married to a wonderful husband who loves me unconditionally and I am devoted to him. The day I got married I felt like I have succeeded, because one of my dreams came true.
I have a good job and receive appraisal for the good work I put in, but for me it is much more important to touch people’s lives / hearts at my work place. One spent more hours at work than being at home with your family. Why don’t make a point of doing something valuable in terms of goodwill, support to your colleagues, and love and care for them? One never knows the difference you can make in peoples’ lives.
To succeed in something you also need to fail. There is a quote that says “Failure is an experience not learnt from.”
I feel like I have succeeded because there are people’s lives that I have touched, I am married to someone that loves me unconditionally and I love him, I have made a difference to people’s lives, I respect people and they respect me, and I have friends and family that loves and expect nothing in return.
Albert Einstein said: “The ideals which have lighted me on my way and time after time given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Truth, Goodness, and Beauty. . . . The ordinary objects of human endeavour -- property, outward success, luxury -- have always seemed to me contemptible”

So success to me, is not how many cars you drive, how big your house is or how much money you have in your bank account. Success is how many lives did you touch in a positive way and where did you make a difference, did you love unconditionally, did you use the opportunities that came your way. Your success is also not an evaluation by yourselves but by others.
I will be successful when? I am working towards being successful everyday and every day I achieve something one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment