Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A skill set called Leadership


I believe that some people are born leaders. A lot of times, people don't believe in themselves or the teacher, couch, boss have not seen the person's ability to be a leader.

In our youth at church we try our best to do activities to identify leaders. One of my friends developed an activity that he uses at schools to help identify the teachers the leaders in a group.

I have been a leader many times in my life and believe that a leader takes people with on the road to success. You cannot do things alone and when you allow people to walk with you, you also develop their leadership skills. A leader should not be a boss that tells people what and how to do it, a leader should tell people what needs to be done and allow the team to do it. A leader should be someone that one would like to follow and learn from, not somebody that you "hate".

I would like to share a few quotes on leaders and leadership.

“Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
Albert Camus quotes (French Novelist, Essayist and Playwright, 1957 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1913-1960)

"The best executive is the one who has sense enough to pick good men to do what he wants done, and self-restraint to keep from meddling with them while they do it."
Theodore Roosevelt

"The leadership instinct you are born with is the backbone. You develop the funny bone and the wishbone that go with it."
Elaine Agather

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."
George S. Patton

"Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them."
~John Maxwell

It is really a priviledge to lead people, try and be a leader that even though your "term" has ended the positive influence you left on the people you lead will stay forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment