Saturday, October 30, 2010

Phemba – Swaziland close to my heart

The Phemba mission station in Swaziland is 45 minutes away from Manzini one of the capital cities. The mission station is in a very rural area on a sugar cane farm.

Our church has been involved in the Mission station since 1999. Every year during the June/July holidays we go to Swaziland for 10 days. Each year we have a building project and we are involved in the schools by giving the children art classes, puppet show, playing netball and soccer and the teachers are also involved in Needlework. We are also involved in the Church services.

In 2001 I went to Phemba for the first time, this is where I met my husband, and he was also part of our Church Team that went to the mission statement. I truly believe that God brought us together, it is so special.

The building projects we did in 2001 – 2010 were: Providing electricity to the School, building ablution facilities, providing the station with running water, took of the existing straw roof of the Church and the Evangelist house and replaced it with an metal roof, Fixed the dam and connected the water pump to ensure that the water can be stored in the dam, fenced a piece of land for the crops, supplied the local people of the village with groceries.

The people of Phemba are very poor, but every year they teach us how to be thankful for what you have and that God will provide. It is amazing how the village of people remember you, you might not see them for two years, but they remember your name and tell you how thankful they are for what you have done.

I have been to Phemba for 7 years and every time I learn from the people of Phemba to appreciate the small things in life, to be thankful for what you have and to love unconditionally.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Madeleine!
    Do you have photos? We used to live on Phemba in the house when I was a young girl....my parents were missionaries my dad used to preach in the little church. Outreach groups from Stellenbosch and Bloemfontein came every year to do exactly what you are describing. Phemba has a special place in my heart and I would LOVE to go and see what it looks like now.....I'm so glad to see your post, as I have been wondering whether the mission station still exists! When we lived in the house, it still had a thatched roof! That was between 1988 and 1990....ages ago!

    We used to swim in the river and go down with tubes.... :-) I'd love to see some photos if you have any....

    Corlene

    ReplyDelete